The Champlain Oaks are not polite trees. They’re not cute like baby seals, treat or gentle like pandas.
Each one has a mind of its own – and is very, look very set in its quirky ways. All of which is probably appropriate for these the most senior citizens of our ‘hood.
- Their branches kink and curl in all directions.
- Their acorns are furry weirdos of the forest – like chesnuts that decided to dress like pimps.
- The wood is spongey and odd.
- The bark is jagged and cryptic.
- They push things aside as they grow.
So don’t love these things because they’re tame. Love them for the opposite. They’re a stark reminder of how wild this place once was.